Saturday, April 8, 2017

Asking & Observing: SARRC's Plan and Research

Hello again friends! Nice to see you all back at my almost finished blog. It's coming down to the wire and I'm so very excited to pull through and get started with the presentations at hand. It's been a long journey, but it's almost over so let's get on to my second to last post.

B/c Journey get it....Don't stop Believin...never mind.

So here's the thing. Looks like I actually did get a chance to interview the doctors. Dr. James (or Stephen) actually helped convince some of the clinicians to find room in their schedules to go thorough with my interviews, so I was very excited but also very nervous. Though I might be sacrificing sample number for in-depth answers, I think it might be better to have a select few but also having quality answers at the same time. I got into the whole interview, knowing absolutely nothing about how to start or do anything, so my heart fluttered about and I blanked for a few seconds. However, once I got into the first few questions, it was just like any regular talk but with me leading the conversation (which I'm not used to). 

Here are the questions I asked:

1. What are some of the early signs/indicators for autism? The most prominent one?

2. How early can you detect these specific symptoms for autism?

3. What are some of the issues when diagnosing cases later (like when they're more mature)?

4. What do you think are some of the challenges when diagnosing children with autism?

5. What made you interested in starting you research in autism? (personal question)


I went through about three interviews this week, but I'm hoping to at least get three more next week to get some more different conclusions. I learned quite a lot about autism research some more, and it was definitely interesting to talk about how many of the clinicians got into their field of study and research. It was really a great motivator to push me into working harder for my career in the future.


Other than the interviews, I continued with more diagnostic sessions with more clients. I'm trying to observe a sample of children to see if similar qualities and behaviors are shared with children who may have autism. So far this week, I got three more session, two of which were hard to sit through. The second child was not as loud and uncooperative, but he was very shy and sometimes failed to do the tasks because I was sitting there in the room. I understand the whole strangers are scary thing because I was the little kid once, but it really hurts the other way around. I now sympathize for the adults that I shied away from. :(


However, the other two experiences were not as mellow. I've noticed that most kids with autism have a strong fixation to a singular detail or object, and once it holds on to that specific thing, the child can't focus on anything else. It was kind of strange how both kids were acting. It was sort of like they were in some sort of trance, and if anything disturbs the specific object of focus, they freak out. For instance, one of the kids had a liking to one of the hair brushes in the room because of the weird texture in the front (I think). Whenever the clinician tried to remove the brush from his hands, he would scream and sort of like panic. It's really to grab their attention once their focus is somewhere else, and this is part of the reason why, sometimes, the tests go nowhere. Additionally, it's very interesting to see that most of the kids we get a week are mostly male, which kind of justify the idea that males are more likely to get autism than females. It was just something I noticed because all of the clients I had so far were all male. Interesting.


That's pretty much happened this week. I'll start working on more of my project presentation this week, so I can't wait to tell you guys some more details of what everything will be like. I hope you all stay next week to see the last week of my SRP at the SARRC facility. Bye!


9 comments:

  1. Hi, Robert. It sounds like your having good luck this week. I would love to see what you found in your interviews. All of those questions would help, but since this field isn't as concrete as others, I feel like those answers may involve a lot of unknowns. I can understand why children shy away from adults, but I can also see how that can hurt when you're trying to help them. Do all the kids you've noticed have a fixation on a single object? Is it some form of coping for them? I am so excited to see your final result because this is such a fascinating topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Robert! I'm excited to hear what information you gathered in the interviews. In general, did the doctors' responses differ or were they similar? I wish you luck in your final compilations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! It's good that you got to do the interviews. I'm sure the results will be interesting to put on your powerpoint. I was wondering, why are males more likely to have autism?
    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Changing the format back to interviews may have been a better choice since you have a better understanding of each of the doctor's response. Will you be able to inform us about the answers each doctor gave, or will it be kept confidential? Nice job on the project, and I can't wait to see how it will turn out at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Robert! Congrats on almost finishing your project and almost finishing senior year! I'm glad that you got to do the interviews so you could get factual information from qualified professionals. That is very interesting that most of your clients were male. Do you think less girls have autism or is it just harder to diagnose in females? Do they maybe display symptoms in different ways? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! It is awesome that you got to interview a doctor for your research to add more credibility to your findings. The observations that you found by sitting with autistic children, and the most common traits among them, helped me understand your research further. I'm looking forward to the near conclusion of your project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! It is great that the interview worked out. I cannot fathom that next week is the last week. It is really interesting that you noticed that they focused on one object, Is that a common trait of autism?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Robert! I can't believe your project is coming to an end! The questions you asked seemed very well thought out, and i am very glad that all is running smoothly. Did you find anything surprising when receiving your responses?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Robert! Wow that's great you got some actual interviews. Even though you'll have fewer answers, they'll probably be more in depth than if you had done it over email. What was one of the most interesting reasons that a doctor started researching autism? Hope you're having a great last week!

    ReplyDelete