Saturday, April 15, 2017

A Sad Farewell, to New Beginnings: Goodbye SARRC!

Hello friends! It's almost over. I know. I"ll most definitely miss the experiences I had at SARRC, having all the fun organizing CSBS forms and seeing all the kids. The "Journey at SARRC" is taking a close, and before I get all sentimental, let's just go over the last week I spent at SARRC. Let's go!


Even though it was my last week, I had to finish up some CSBS forms for good measure. It's actually pretty nice to finish off with something you've been doing for weeks now. It feels kind of relaxing to me. After the forms were completed and filed, Stephen allowed me to sit through more diagnostic sessions for my project. It was interesting to see that out of all the clients I had observed one of them was finally a female. As you may know, autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is more commonly found in males than in females, so it was quite interesting to see how females behaved compared to males. However, not much was different. They both tantrums and scream. Just kidding (not)! Yes, though they do throw fits once in a while, they still get to finish the assessments with little to no problems. 

I'm just teasing. Hehehe

Other than that, I was allowed to have a whole day of working on my project. On Thursday, Stephen gave me the time there to work on anything I wanted to, so I took the opportunity and worked on my PowerPoint. Though I must admit I spent an hour or two on YouTube, falling deeper into it's abyss, I pulled away from the distraction to work on my presentation. I worked pretty hard on it afterwards, but I'm unsure whether it was as good as I thought it would be. When it comes down to it, I'd push through my procrastination tendencies to finally get work done, whether the quality of it is good can be debatable. 


I've yet, however, to come up with a potential final product. I was thinking along the lines of an informational brochure, but I'll accept any thoughts or opinions about that. I hope it will turn out well because deadlines are coming up so fact. Yikes! 


Anyways, I wanted to spend a little time to thank everyone that's gotten me this far (yes, you've reached sentimental canyon. And on the right, you can see river of tears). Just kidding. So I really wanted to thank my on-site mentor Dr. Smith for giving me this opportunity to intern here. I had literally no experience in anything, but he allowed me to learn and help as much as I could. And thanks to Dr. James (or Stephen, he prefers that) for guiding me through the process, I had fun helping as much as possible. I wanted to thank Mr. Witz and Ms. Conner, both of which have helped me overcome my shortcomings and showed me the way. Lastly, I wanted to thank you all for following me this far. I appreciate all the interest you've given my project, and I hope that you are inspired (like I was) to pursue yours head on in the future.

I wanted to end this with a cliche quote so here it is: "Every story has an ending. But in life, every ending is a new beginning..."

Bye for now! I hope to see you all in my Final Post (so sad)!

 

11 comments:

  1. What other options are there for your final product/ what are others doing? An informational brochure sounds like an appropriate one. Looking forward to your last post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robert. Thanks for an intriguing and fascinating experience for all of us following your blog. Did the doctors approach the session with the female any different than they did with the males? Also, I agree, an informational brochure sounds the best to me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am overjoyed reading your post! What an incredible ten weeks you have had. I cannot wait to see your final presentation come together and look forward to seeing your final product!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy that I had a chance to follow your experience as you look at autism. This has been so informational and really brings light to this topic. I truly hope you continue this work in the future. Good luck with your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so delighted to have been able to follow your project. I am sure the final product will be fantastic. Thank you for teaching me more about autism. Nice job on the project as a whole, and I can really see that you have a passion in this field.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robert, It's been great to see how much your project has grown! It's very clear how passionate you are and how much you care about this project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed reading your blog posts since it helped me gain more information for my vault of knowledge on Autism. I hope your presentation goes well too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I think an informational brochure would be a great final product. Since your project focused on early detection of autism it would be nice to give some information about that. I was wondering, is the work being done at SARRC something you are interested in doing in the future as a career? Just curious, it's fine if you have no idea what you are doing with your life (I don't). Anyway, good luck finding a final product!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although the final product has yet to be came up with, I was quite satisfied with this week's post. I hope the presentation goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you had a good final week. It's been really interesting learning about SARRC each week. I'll be sad to see your posts end, but I'm looking forward to seeing your presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Robert, I'm sad I'll be losing my blogging buddies. It really has been a pleasure to read all about your progress through your projects and watch their development. I like the brochure idea. I think it would be great to have an informational document about signs for autism, diagnoses, and what steps to take. Of course, if you think of a better idea, I'm sure it'll be great. I'm excited to see what you'll share with us in your presentation!

    ReplyDelete